Dave Ramsey is a man of many talents. He is a personal finance guru, radio host, bestselling author, successful businessman, and self-made millionaire. In fact, he had a net worth of over $1 million by the age of 26 and was earning roughly $250,000 a year.
Today, Ramsey uses his knowledge and experience to help others achieve financial success. He hosts a popular radio show, writes books, and offers financial seminars. His advice is based on simple principles that anyone can follow.
Ramsey’s success is due in part to his no-nonsense approach to money. He believes that debt is bad and that people should live below their means. He also emphasizes the importance of saving and investing.
Ramsey’s advice has helped millions of people get out of debt and build wealth. He is a true inspiration to those who are struggling with their finances. Here are his top 7 tips to help you save money this summer.
Consider Your Air Conditioning Costs
Energy costs can skyrocket in the summer, especially if you live in a hot climate and use air conditioning frequently. While you don’t want to be uncomfortable at home, there are still ways to cut costs.
Dave Ramsey suggests a few simple tips to help you save money on your energy bill:
- Keep the doors of your lesser-used rooms closed. This will prevent cool air from escaping from those rooms and being wasted.
- Caulk your windows and doors. This will help to seal any gaps that allow cool air to escape.
- Close the blinds or curtains during the hottest parts of the day. This will help to keep the heat out of your home.
By following these tips, you can save money on your energy bill and still stay comfortable during the summer.
Make a Summer Vacation Budget
Summer is a time for vacations, but they can be expensive. Dave Ramsey suggests creating a separate budget for your summer vacation and taking advantage of cheap, discounted, or free activities to save money.
Here are some tips from Ramsey for saving money on your summer vacation:
- Create a separate budget for your summer vacation. This will help you track your spending and stay on track.
- Look for cheap, discounted, or free activities. There are many ways to enjoy your summer vacation without breaking the bank. You can visit state parks, go camping, hiking, or swimming. You can also check out local museums, festivals, or concerts.
- Use travel sites and browser apps to find deals. There are many travel sites that offer discounts on flights, hotels, and activities. You can also use browser apps like Honey to find coupon codes and other savings.
- Skip expensive theme parks. Theme parks can be very expensive, especially if you have a family. There are many other, cheaper alternatives that are still fun. For example, you could go to a state park, a water park, or a local amusement park.
By following these tips, you can save money on your summer vacation and still have a great time.
Search for Additional Money Through a Budget
Making a budget doesn’t have to be difficult.
Dave Ramsey suggests starting by writing down your income from all sources, including your main job and any side gigs. Then, list your fixed expenses, such as rent, car payments, and insurance. Fixed expenses are the same each month, so you can easily budget for them.
Next, list your variable expenses, such as groceries, dining out, and entertainment. Variable expenses can vary from month to month, so it’s important to track your spending to get an accurate estimate.
Once you have your income and expenses listed, subtract your expenses from your income. If you have money left over, congratulations! You can use that money to save, pay off debt, or spend on your summer plans.
But don’t stop there. Ramsey also advises that you track your spending each month. This can help you stick to your budget and identify areas where you can cut back. You might be surprised to find additional money that you can use to reach your financial goals.
Be Smart About Grocery Shopping
Dave Ramsey offers several tips for saving money on groceries this summer.
- Plan your meals and make a shopping list. This will help you avoid impulse buys and ensure you only buy the groceries you need.
- Take advantage of coupons and in-store discounts. Many grocery stores offer digital coupons and deals through their apps. You can also use cash-back apps to earn money back on your grocery purchases.
- Shop at discount grocery stores. These stores often offer lower prices on groceries than traditional grocery stores.
- Buy in bulk. If you have the storage space, buying in bulk can save you money on items like rice, beans, and pasta.
- Cook at home more often. Eating out is expensive, so cooking at home more often can save you a lot of money.
- Grow your own food. If you have the space, growing your own food can be a great way to save money on groceries.
By following these tips, you can save money on groceries this summer and still enjoy delicious meals.
Limit Going Out To Eat
Eating out can be expensive, especially if you do it often. Dave Ramsey recommends making your own meals at home instead of going out to eat.
Here are some reasons why cooking at home is a good idea:
- It’s cheaper. Eating out can be very expensive, especially if you go to restaurants that are not budget-friendly. Cooking at home, on the other hand, is much cheaper.
- It’s healthier. Restaurants often use a lot of unhealthy ingredients, such as processed foods and high-fat sauces. Cooking at home, you can control the ingredients that go into your food, making it healthier.
- It’s more fun. Cooking at home can be a fun activity to do with family and friends. You can get creative and try new recipes.
If you do go out to eat, Ramsey recommends taking advantage of coupons, discounts, and deals. You can also try splitting a dish with someone to save money.
Stop Paying for a Gym Membership
Summer is a great time to enjoy the outdoors, so you may not need to use your gym membership as much. If you’re not using your gym membership as much, you could save money by pausing it for a few months.
The cost of a gym membership varies depending on the location and type of gym. By pausing your membership, you could potentially save hundreds of dollars. Once the weather gets colder, you can always resume your membership.
Here are some tips for pausing your gym membership:
- Check with your gym to see if they offer a pausing option. Not all gyms offer this option, so it’s important to check first.
- Find out how much it will cost to pause your membership. The cost of pausing your membership will vary depending on the gym.
- Decide how long you want to pause your membership. You can usually pause your membership for a few months at a time.
- Follow the instructions for pausing your membership. Each gym has its own process for pausing memberships, so be sure to follow the instructions carefully.
Look for Travel Discounts
If your summer plans include traveling, Ramsey suggests using sites like Kayak or Airbnb to find the best deals on car rentals, airfare and accommodations. Depending on how flexible your plans are, you may want to consider going to less expensive destinations as well.
Discover: 5 Best Travelers Insurance Providers